Identify each underlined adjective below as article, proper adjective, compound adjective, possessive adjective, indefinite adjective, interrogative adjectives or demonstrative adjective. Write the underlined word: identify the type. Some adjectives will have more than one label.(36pts 1pt each)
(word: type of adjective)
1. The kiwi is a strange-looking bird that can be found only in some areas of New Zealand.
2. While kiwis are defenseless, their survival has been made possible because they have no natural predators on this South Pacific island.
3. Although New Zealand kiwis have small, stubby wings, they are earth-bound birds that cannot fly.
4. Long, hairlike feathers are another feature of a kiwi.
5. It is also the only Asian bird that locates food by its sense of smell.
6. Which species is the most similar to that strange bird?
Recognizing Other Parts of Speech Used as Adjectives
Identify any nouns, pronouns, or verbs used as adjectives in the following sentences. Write them (Word:part of speech) on your paper, and label each. If none are used, write none. (43pts 1pt each)
1. The owl is a bird variety that is characterized by a large head, forward-facing eyes, and sharp claws.
2. The barn owl is the most common species in the United States.
3. The smallest species resides in the deserts of the Southwest.
4. In which places besides trees and abandoned buildings do owls make their homes?
5. The burrowing owl, for instance, may make its home in old rabbit holes.
6. Most owls are active after the evening stars have emerged.
7. They are the only birds whose eyes are located on the front of the face.
8. All owls also have excellent hearing abilities to assist their hunting efforts.
9. Rain deters hunting owls, since they cannot fly quietly with wet wing feathers.
10. Though many people dislike owls, these birds are our allies against rodents.
Supplying Adjectives to Add Details.
Rewrite or type the paragraph below on your paper, supplying an adjective in each blank. Underline the adjective you use to fill in the blank. (30 pts. 3pts each)
(1) The wild turkey is among the ___________ birds in North America, much bigger than most other fowl. (2) Wild turkeys are found in _____________areas deep among the trees. (3) Males are _______________ and ____________ than females and are also more _______________. (4) The males can also be distinguished by the wattle, a ______________piece of ______________skin that hangs from the beak. (5) The skin of the head and neck of a wild turkey is usually _____________ in color, but it may also be a brighter shade of ____________ or _______________.