- It is impossible to say how first the idea entered my brain, but once conceived, it haunted me day and night….
- It was open—wide, wide open—and I grew furious as I gazed upon it. I saw it with perfect distinctness…
- I say louder, every moment!—do you mark me well? I have told you that I am nervous: so I am. And now at the dead hour of night, amid the dreadful silence of that old house, so strange a noise as this excites me to…
- Was it possible they heard not?—no, no! They heard!—they suspected—they knew—they were making a…
As you came into the classroom you were given a number. This number reflects your creative writing journal prompt. You are to experience the mood and atmosphere created in the room and translate it into your story. Incorporate sensory imagery, for sight, sound, touch (minimum), and use the suspense techniques we have discussed in class. Tomorrow these will be shared with the class. Be prepared.
Below are five possible approaches a writer might take, given the topic of working while going to school. Provide a possible example of each approach. Write a paragraph for each number using the underlined topic as your main idea. (Consider your personal pronouns. Which ones will make the theme effective. Remain consistent in your paragraph)
1. Personal Story-
2. Effects of working while going to school-
3. How to do something-
We have been taught since childhood that it is wrong to quit. We learn that quitting is impulsive and easy and that we should always endeavor to keep trying, even if it is difficult. But aren't there certain times when quitting is the right thing to do? In those instances, it takes great courage, maturity, and self awareness to acknowledge that the plan we have chosen may need to be changed or that a new plan should be adopted.
Assignment: Is quitting ever a good idea? Plan and write an essay in which you develop your point of view on this issue. Support your position with reasoning and examples taken from your reading, studies, experience, or observations.
10th: She remembered wishing, on one particular morning when Father mixed lead white with the smallest dot of lead-tin yellow for the goose quill in a painting of Mother writing a letter, that she might...
9th: He took out his books one at a time, started to stack them in order by color and size. The library silence was a comfort as he...
A noun is word that names a person, a place, thing, or idea. A common noun refers to any one of a certain kind of a person, a place, thing, or idea. A proper noun names a specific person, a place, or thing.
Part A: Write the sentences below. (remember formatting PRINT & PENCIL) Identify the nouns in each sentence and label (INK) whether they are common or nouns or Proper nouns. (format--) Rewrite the following sentences in cursive and ink.
1. Morris kept the withered paw of a monkey in his pocket.
2. Mr. White believes the legend and wishes for money.
3. When Herbert is killed at his job, his parents receive money from his employers.
4. Mrs. White tries to bring Herbert back to life using magic.
Part B: Write (pencil) the sentences below. Underline (ink) the common nouns in the following sentences. Then, substitute a proper noun (label- ink) if possible to make the sentence more precise.
9th Grade: (Can Truth Change): I sat in my room on the concrete floor believing everything the facility told me. But I knew...
10th Grade: (Reality vs. Truth): Everything around me had changed. There were certain things that had to be done. I just didn't know if...
Write the following sentence and correct the spelling, punctuation and grammatical errors.
1. after visiting the museum our class wauked too the city Park so he could spend an our in the fresh heir?
2. Next time I hope that we spend the hole day at the park
3. i especially enjoyed watching a duck with a trane of ducklins in tow swam in the pond.
4. i never would known there could be so much in 1 park.
1. scientist__________________ thorax____________________
2. insect ___________________ identification _______________
3. scent____________________ laboratory__________________
4. swamp __________________ grocer ____________________
5. abdomen_________________ botanist ___________________
Write the flawed sentences. Correct the spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
1. Jeffrey waked up at fiv-thirty in the morning to watch the son rise and to paint the view?
2. He thougt that there will be something peaceful about early morning!
3. he needed to use her time wisely, because in a few ours there was people out walkin and cars startin to move?
4. He noticed that the yellow, and orange from the sun is lined with pink hues.
A company has announced that it wishes to tear down a large factory in your community. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of this influence on your community. Do you support or oppose the factory's decision? Explain your position.
9th & 10th: THEME: Reality/Truth Fiction/Nonfiction Unit 1
Daily Language Skills -1 Diagnostic Review
Label the parts of speech in the following sentences. Leave space between the lines for the labels. (article, noun, pronoun, verb, helping verb, adjective, adverb, conjunction, interjection, preposition)
4. The purple book will be the one we use in our class.
Unit 1 -