On a separate sheet of paper answer write the underlined adjective and identify as an adjective, proper adjective, noun used as an adjective or compound adjective. Next to the adjective write the noun it modifies.
Skill Check A:
Skill Check A:
- The Supreme Court is an important American institution.
- Article III of the United States Constitution sets definite provisions for the establishment of the Supreme Court.
- The United States Supreme Court is composed of a Chief Justice and eight associate justices.
- The nine-member bench has been constant in size since 1869.
- The bench began with six justices in 1789.
- (definite) United States government is controlled by a written constitution with rules that guide government leaders.
- (definite) judicial system makes sure those are interpreted and followed correctly.
- The courts are (indefinite) part of the judicial system use to interpret the laws.
- When can the defendant appeal this court case to a higher court?
- Whose court case needs to be appealed?
- we count on our courts to interpret the law.
- How many court cases are like that?
- Few court cases are involved with these proceedings.
- The sessions of the Supreme Court open in October of each year and almost always adjourn toward the end of June.
- The Supreme Court rarely ever calls a special session outside that time period.
- Only four special sessions were called in the last century.
- A session normally lasts approximately 38 weeks.
- Justices too often find themselves working between sessions.