It was a dark, clear night. The heaven and stars shone brightly in the sky. One star shone more brightly than the others, one that I had to follow. This is a journey that must...
VINCE GILL - Go Rest High on That Mountain
1. What is the story the artist is trying to convey?
2. What mood does the song create? (Explain)
3. Choose words or phrases from the lyric sheet given in class and explain why they are important to the song and its meaning.
Correct the following sentences using your proofing marks. Underline the nouns. Label: concrete/abstract, common/proper, and compound. Rewrite the corrected sentences in cursive and in ink. (leave spaces for the labels.)
1. A favorite Toy for Little Tommy was the michael jordon basketball.
2. When will jim finish working at bellefonte hospital?
3. Dr. nelson met with dr. opara during a consultation to discuss mrs. billing's procedure.
*4. the shedd's aquarium in chicago is an excellent place to see various species of fish and the west indian mantee.
Buried beneath the damp soil, it lay there. It was a treasure bigger than my wildest imagination. It is going to change my life. For once, I am going to...
Rapidly racing through...I couldn't breathe. Where is it? Where is ....
Common and Proper Nouns
All nouns even if they are collective or compound--can be classified as either common nouns or proper nouns.
A common noun: names any one of a class of people, places, or things, ...general. not capitalized except at the beginning of a sentence or in a title.
A proper noun: names a specific person, place, or thing. Always capitalized.
Identify Common and Proper Nouns.
Part I: Copy each of the following nouns into your journal. Place a C after each common noun and a P after each proper noun. Then for each common noun write a corresponding proper noun. For each proper noun write a corresponding common noun.
Example: A.) city: city-C Ashland Kia-P car
3. Los Angeles
5. Suzanne Collins
9. Michael Jordon
Part II: Choose 4 words from the list above and write a sentence for each word. Underline the word you chose. Be sure to write in (ink/cursive) for penmanship points. Be sure to capitalize when appropriate and punctuate.
Part III: Write the sentences below in ink and cursive. Then label "com" above each common noun and "prop" above each proper noun.
Com com com prop com
My stepfather bought me blue slacks, a red jacket, and a Starbucks when we went to the mall.
1. Uncle Lloyd, Aunt June, and I went to a movie.
2. The Cubs won the first game of the season.
3. Jaime received a good grade on his paper about Albert Einstein.
4. May we have a picnic at Lincoln Park this weekend?
Norman Rockwell was one of the most popular illustrators of his time. His pictures of American life were seen regularly on the covers of magazines such as Life and The Saturday Evening Post.
1. What do you think the girl is thinking about?
2. What are some indicators or clues within the painting that could support your opinion?
3. What connections do you see between the art and the title of our theme, What I Am, What I Want to Be?
When I look in the mirror I see... (1/2 page minimum)** special
Use the following image and prompt to create a short story. Separate sheet of paper to be turned in. You will work on your own. Use imagery to create distinct descriptions. Remember to utilize the human senses to create your imagery and tell the story. (smell, see, hear, taste, feel) Ex: the pounding of the chisel against stone echoed through the air = hear. 1 page front and back. Create a fairytale... a fantasy...let your imagination soar!
Use Discussion and Notes from 8/29
What makes us who we are from a cultural standpoint? [Explore your culture, heritage, and traditions to write an essay on this topic. Think about: hobbies, interests, activities, likes and dislikes, personal attitudes, social norms, etc.]